Lehigh Valley Transit Interurban Car 1030
|William B. McGorum, the newly elected Vice
President and General Manager, inaugurated the Rehabilitation
Program and directed company policies for the ensuing seven years.
Utility equipment company, Railway Equipment Brokers, shipped forty-three second hand electric railway cars to L.V.T. between July 1938 and January 1939. The group included eleven Cincinnati Lightweight Interurban Cars, Nos. 112, 115, 121, 123, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 413 and 414. Cars 413 and 414 were actually owned by the bankrupt Cincinnati Car Company.
|L.V.T. had not originally planned for a
thirteen car roster, but satisfaction with the performance of the
eleven Cincinnati Lightweight Cars, plus increased patronage,
influenced the acquisition of C&LE RR cars Nos. 120 and 122 in May
The mechanical department assigned 1000 series numbers to cars equipped with Westinghouse Electric Company equipment and 1020 series numbers to those equipped with General Electric Company equipment.
L.V.T. numbers compared to C&LE car numbers:
A major catastrophe involved the 1000 Series group after almost two years of normal, successful operations. Car No. 1004 (C&LE No. 127) suffered irreparable damage on the Philadelphia & Western RR at King Manor.
Abandonment of the Indiana RR Company Interurban and City Rail Network began in 1939. The company retained cars 55, 65 & 78 to a pool, which operated only one daily round trip on the Indianapolis-Seymour segment of the Indianapolis-Louisville route. From this group in January 1941, L.V.T. purchased Club Car No. 55 as a replacement for No. 1004 (C&LE No. 127). An employee chalked out the No. 55 and marked 1030 above with exterior alterations designed to create a form similar to other 1000 Series cars.
In 1946, The L.V.T. Mechanical Department, removed the stainless steel pilots from cars No. 1000, 1001, 1002, 1005, 1007, 1021, 1022, 1023 & 1030 to allow the movement of cool air over motors of both trucks. The pilot covers were left in tact on cars 1006, 1008 & 1020 until the end of railway operations.
The Series 1000 cars prolonged electric railway service over L.V.T.'s Liberty Bell route, or Philadelphia Division, for twelve years after abandonment seemed certain.
The L.V.T. Company, in an unprecedented move late Thursday afternoon September 6th, 1951, immediately commenced abandonment of the Liberty Bell route.
The Seashore Trolley Museum purchased No. 1030 (IRR No. 55) from the scrap metal broker.