Lehigh Valley Transit Freight Trail
|In 1908, the
Pennsylvania legislature passed the "Trolley Freight Law"
permission to haul Less Than Carload freight over their lines.
|Lehigh Valley Transit started freight service in 1908 using various converted passenger cars. In 1914, LVT designed and built, at its 14th and Gordan St. shops, a car which could serve as a freight motor or trail car to meet its increasing LCL business. 25 cars used in this service included 4 trail cars, 7 cars built by BRILL, JEWETT & RUSSEL, 10 built by LVT and 4 converted from other cars. The 4 freight trail cars entered service in June, 1916, with C-7 pulling trail car T-2.|
Transit shop in 1916, built 4 freight trail cars, T-1 through
T-4, which were double truck, double end, wooden body cars. These
cars were built on a steel frame and had no exterior truss rods.
Interior trusses built into the car body served the same function.
The last trail car was used ~1922.
LVT T-1: Built March, 1916. Had RUSSEL CAR COMPANY arch bar trucks. Rebuilt to scarifer car 1924. Scrapped 1939.
LVT T-2: Built March, 1916. Had BRILL 50-E standard gauge trucks. Rebuilt into C-12 December, 1917.
LVT T-3: Built July, 1916. Had BRILL 50-E standard gauge trucks. Rebuilt into C-13 July, 1918.
LVT T-4: Built September, 1916. Had BRILL 50-E standard gauge trucks. Rebuilt into a proposed freight motor in June, 1920 as a replacement for C-10 which was destroyed by fire. Was started, but never completed. Scrapped, unfinished, in December, 1940.