Sheboygan Light, Power
and Railway Company
|THE COMPANY (eastern Wisconsin)|
|Cars Nos. 25, 26 & 27 were built
by the Cincinnati Car Company of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1908 for the
Sheboygan Light, Power and Railway Co. of Sheboygan, Wisconsin. The
cars ran in daily service connecting the towns of Sheboygan,
Kohler, Sheboygan Falls, Plymouth, Crystal Lake and Elkhart Lake.
Trolley service lasted for 30 years.
|The cars have the features and
architecture of a steam railroad coach, including a Clerestory roof
with drop ends, a full width vestibule at each end, two separate
seating compartments for smoking and non-smoking passengers, a toilet room
and empire ceiling.
Sheboygan Light, Power & Railway Company had a life similar to the industry as a whole. When forced with austerity, the railroad modified the cars. Sheboygan Light, Power & Railway Company cars 25 & 27 were rebuilt as express motors car no. 26, modified so it could be operated by one man. This modification eliminated the conductor and also consisted of closing one of the entry doors in each vestibule. Following its use as an interurban car and no longer needed by the railroad, the electrical equipment and trucks were removed and it was sold. It became a summer cottage near Cedar Grove, Wisconsin, along the shores of Lake Michigan. The car is now owned by the Friends of East Troy Railroad Museum through a donation from the Doedens family